Sunday, July 31, 2011

Group Power: What Did You Do This Weekend?

Starting on Friday, I took on the challenge of a weekend long training seminar for Group Power. Like Group Kick (which I took in February), this is an hour-long program through Body Training Systems that focuses on strength. It is a low weight, high repetition workout that focuses on every major muscle group in the body and works it hard.

We had a class of eight participants. Five were from Bob's Gym, two came from a gym in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and one person drove in from Cincinnati. We had the same trainer who handled my Group Kick training and it was nice to share some stories of my class experience with that program.

to get an idea of what I am getting myself into, here is a trailer of the July 2011 Group Power release:


Over the course of the weekend, I was responsible for learning two tracks. The first track focused on legs (squats) and the second on chest (flys and push-ups). The instructor recorded our routine to do a group assessment of correct technique and some stuff that looked simply painful. It was good to see those things are correct them as we worked over the weekend.

Probably the hardest session occurred on Sunday. It was a "team training" session that challenged us with a high weight/high rep workout. We started with a 12-minute cardio workout (run, cycling, etc.). We were paired up and did the following exercises:

Round One
25 Chest Presses
7 Deadrow (3 sets)

Round Two
15 Clean and Presses
10 Lunges (each leg)

Round Three
15 Bicep Curls
15 Tricep Extensions

Each round was 12 minutes long with you and your partner rotating as lifter or spotter during each round. You just kept rotating until the time ended. My partner and I got in about four full rotations in each of the 12-minute rounds.

My legs and shoulders are pretty burned out right now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have the gusto to pull of my Kick class tomorrow morning. Despite how I feel, it was all worth it. I'll keep you posted on my progress to getting certified.

1 comment: